The Algoma University is a public university with its main campus located at Ontario Canada. The university offers students a range of undergraduate courses with specialization in the field of Arts, Science, and other professional degrees. The university was established in the year 1965. It is the smallest university in Ontario that offers only undergraduate programs. It was previously affiliated to the Laurentian University in Sudbury and was known as the Algoma University College.
The UG Programs at Algoma University ranges in myriad fields. At present, it offers over 30 courses in the form of 3 to 4-year bachelor’s degree. The disciplines include English, Biology, Computer Science, Business, Fine Arts, Geography, Psychology, History, Social Work, Music, Sociology, Community Development and much more. The university houses an athletic and recreation center, a huge library and elaborate campuses.
Admission to the University
The university offers admission to international students from across the globe. Below mentioned is the entire procedure for availing admission to the university.
- Candidates will be needed to attend a mandatory session of Study Abroad Information and book the schedule through the website.
- Research through the programs offered by the institute and its partner institutions.
- After zeroing in the course, submit the application form for Study Abroad Application to the study abroad officer. Applicants from either country of India, Bangladesh, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Mauritius or Nigeria or those residing outside Canada must apply through the Canadian University Application Centre (CUAC).
- Pay CAD $100 as application fees.
- Official High School Transcripts are mandatory.
- Candidates will be invited for an informal interview by the institution and will be notified about the same through email.
The admission requirement for international students differs in comparison to native ones. In addition, the requirements are subject to differ based on different programs. Below mentioned are the general admission requirements prerequisite for all students:
- The minimum eligibility for candidates seeking admission to the various programs offered by the university is qualifying class 12th or Higher Secondary School Certificate with minimum aggregate marks from a recognized board from amongst ISC/ CBSE or State board.
- The candidates must have qualified their English proficiency examination including IELTS (6.5), TOEFL (80), SAT (1200) and ACT (28).
- Proof of English Proficiency is a must for availing admission to Algoma University.
A candidate must meet the following minimum requirement in order to gain admission in the undergraduate program. Check out below:
- MELAB with a minimum score of 90%.
- TOEFL Score of 550 for paper-based mode, 213 for computer-based mode and 79-80 for internet mode.
- IELTS (6.0 to 6.5) (applicant must have scored at least 6.0 in each band of writing, listening, speaking and reading).
- CAEL – 60
- CanTEST 4.50
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) – 63 marks
- Algoma University’s ESL program with a minimum of 80% or higher.
- Class 10th or Secondary School Leaving Certificate
- Or All India Senior School Certificate Awarded by CBSE (after 12 years of schooling),
- Or Indian School Certificate (Awarded by ICSE)
- Class 10th Mark Sheet
- Class 12th Mark Sheet
- Proof of English Proficiency and Marks obtained in either of IELTS, TOEFL, SAT, and ACT.
- Candidates before applying for the course must check through the curriculum specified by the university.
- In case your school follows the curriculum accredited by the country and recognized by the Ministry of Education, the candidate must select their country from the drop box of the main list and read through the requirements mentioned for the country.
- All applicants applying for post-secondary education must disclose the same on the application.
- They must also arrange for the official transcripts to be sent to the university.
- Applicants will be awarded transfer credits based on the receipt of official transcripts.
- Documents that are issued in any other language other than English must be accompanied by a notarized English translation.
- In case proof of English language proficiency is required, the results must be issued directly from the examining board.
- All transcripts must be issued to the university directly by the institution in order to be validated as official documents.
- Photocopies and notarized transcripts, as well as documents, will be acceptable for conditional offers of admission only.
Admission to the courses will be based on the percentage acquired in the secondary curriculum. This is divided into two categories:
AP Transfer Credit Eligibility wherein applicants who have completed their advance placement with a minimum grade of 4 will receive credit recognition of up 12 credits or two full courses by the university. Such students must send their results directly from their college for availing credits
AP Scholarship Eligibility – Scholarship consideration will be determined based on the grades obtained in the current secondary school curriculum. However, no awards are granted for cm