JEE Main counselling is held by Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) for aspirants who clear the JEE Main cut off. This counselling session is mandatory and is primarily held to aid students in seeking admissions to different engineering colleges across the country based on the marks and ranks. It is merit-based admissions for the aspiring students. JEE Main counselling sessions are held numerous times based on the availability of seats, waiting lists and admissions and re-admissions of the students.
Usually, JEE Main results are declared by the end of April and JEE Main counselling session registration is open during June. Candidates who qualify JEE Main Exam only will be eligible to attend the counselling process for seat allocation in all the participating Colleges (except IITs & ISM).
Before we dwell deep into why participating in JEE Main counselling is important:
Let’s find out the eligibility criterion:
- Candidates should have secured the cut-off mark in JEE Main 2018 paper 1 i.e is for B.Tech aspiring students
- Candidates need to clear 12th standard or its equivalent along with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory papers along with Chemistry.
- For admissions into the premier institutes, the general category should score above 75% and the SC/ST/ OBC should score above 65%
- Candidates should have secured the cut off mark in JEE Main 2018 paper 2 i.e B.Arch.
- Candidates need to clear 12th standard or its equivalent along with Mathematics as a compulsory paper.
- For admissions into the premier institutes, the general category should score above 75% and the SC/ST/ OBC should score above 65% in all of the subjects along with Mathematics.
In a given year, there are more than 7 sessions of JEE Mains counselling along with seat allotment acceptance and reporting.
Note: For the academic year 2018-2019 JoSAA has been set up by the Government of India to manage and allot seats for admissions into 97 institutes. It includes 23 IITs, 31 NITs, 23 IIITs and 20 Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs).
Now let’s unlock why the process of the JEE Main counselling is important:
- JEE Main counselling process will aid the aspiring student to understand what his or her rank can fetch them admissions into.
- JEE Main counselling process will help establish a student type of college and the department he/she must want to go into.
- The counselling process can help students sort their preference list from the start to the end. Based on which they will gain admission. It will add a sense of clarity and purpose to the admission.
- The rank list will ascertain a student’s admission and solidify the process.
- All the document verification in JEE Mains counselling session will help them understand the seriousness of the admission process and also cover a background check.
- The seat allotment process will help deal the aspirant with their choices and also teach them to deal with misses if they do not get into the school or course of their choice.
- With the main thing in mind, these processes will ascertain that merit-based admission is given preference in the country. No unfair mode of admission is tolerated.
- JEE Main counselling session will help give every student a sense that their admission was based on all fairness.
- It will aid in creating a transparent process for all the students and help deserving students gain the best colleges and courses.
Hence JEE Mains counselling session and seat allotments are important to attend. It gives aspiring students a purpose and a motivation. Also, it helps the students gauge their real standing amongst the competition. It empowers them to do better in case they are not selected. Or to take pride and understand how good healthy competition is. It is essential to understand the physiological and practical side of the students. Such sessions like JEE Mains counselling sessions help students prepare for a better tomorrow.